F1 Student Employment

Home International Students F1 Student Employment


An F-l student may accept employment only after obtaining a letter from their future on-campus employer. This letter is required to apply for a social security card. On-campus employment is limited to part-time (20 hours or less per week) during fall and spring semesters. It may be full-time (more than 20-hours a week) during summer and official university holidays.

To obtain permission for on-campus employment, bring the following documents to apply for a social security card:

  • Valid 1-94
  • Form 1-20
  • Valid Passport
  • Employer letter indicating permission to accept on-campus employment
  • Letter from International Coordinator verifying student status
  • Social Security Application


Off-campus employment while on an F-1 visa is possible if you have been in F-1 status for a minimum of one academic year and meet the specific qualifications for one of the options below:

Curricular Practical Training (CPT)

Alternate work/study, internship, cooperative education, or any other type of required internship or practicum which is offered by sponsoring employers through cooperative agreements with the school.” The training must be “an integral part of an established curriculum.

Optional Practical Training (OPT)

Temporary employment for practical training directly related to the student’s major area of study.