Initially, the Panhandle State College (PSC) knew Carter Hall–built in 1967–as the Industrial Arts Building. It was built with funds borrowed from the federal government and paid back via dormitory and housing rental fees. The building, home to woodworking laboratories; a drafting room; and areas for crafts, drafting, and electronic mechanics, cost $300,000. Currently, the School of Business and Technology occupies the building and offers courses in accounting, management, marketing, computer science, video production, graphic arts, economics, and computer-aided drafting.
At the spring alumni banquet in April 1969, attendees voted on names to officially name some of the unnamed buildings on campus. One of those buildings was the Industrial Arts Building. In May 1969, the Board of Regents for Agricultural and Mechanical Colleges honored the request to name the two-story structure Carter Hall. The honoree, Mr. M. L. Carter, taught at PSC for 33 years—from 1923 until his retirement in 1956—as a professor of industrial arts. He also helped to establish the industrial arts curriculum on campus. The building’s dedication occurred in April 1970 with Dr. Marvin McKee, a past PSC president and current state representative, serving as master of ceremonies. In 1974, over $6,000 was appropriated to modernize and purchase instructional equipment for Carter Hall.