The Writing Center Director will serve students, faculty, and courses within the disciplines and across the curriculum at Panhandle State. This position will serve as a liaison between our newly established Writing Center and the different stakeholders to promote academic writing and critical thinking as well as to promote the importance of effective communication. While tutoring students and training and mentoring student tutors will be part of the director’s duties, the director will also be expected to be an active presence on campus events at which promoting the Writing Center and its services is appropriate.
- Oversee the practices of the writing center on campus and online;
- Oversee the day-to-day functions of the center;
- Provide detailed information of center’s operations, maintain those records as appropriate for grant verification;
- Tutor students;
- Train and oversee writing tutors;
- Develop and host workshops and presentations on common writing practices;
- Coordinate writing workshop requests from faculty and staff;
- Be an active presence on campus facilitating the writing center role and services in the university community;
- Stay current with innovations in the field of writing center studies;
- Designing and implement writing seminars, resources, etc.;
- Work closely with other resource centers to create collaborative programs and resources for students;
- Must have a strong work ethic and lead by example;
- Must be professional, credible, and respected representative of the institution internally and in the community;
- Demonstrated willingness and ability to act ethically and socially responsible;
- Must be able to lift more than 50-lb. objects; frequent bending, stooping, and walking;
- Can be exposed to a variety of weather conditions for periods of time;
- Possibility to teach as adjunct instructor;
- Other duties as assigned.
- The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position.
- MA in English or related field (Rhetoric/Composition, Literacy Studies, Writing, etc.) and/or PhD in English or related field;
- Experience in managing a writing center;
- Knowledge of current writing pedagogies
- Experience supervising staff, working independently and collaboratively, and solving problems with grace under pressure;
- Preferred working knowledge of Spanish
- Flexible attitude
- Commitment to academic excellence and student success.