The Bursar provides oversight and control over functions in the Business Office pertaining to billing and collection of charges for tuition, fees, campus housing, fanstore charges, etc. In addition, the Bursar also processes and disburses federal and campus-based funds and refunds any overpayments to students’ bursar accounts. Responsibilities of the position include, but are not limited to, development and support of cashiering staff, oversight of the accounts receivable system, account analysis, and the maintenance of sound accounting and related processes to foster a system of strong internal accounting and cash controls.
- Maintains oversight responsibility for accounts receivable; including cash accountability in the cashiering office as well as in auxiliary enterprises, such as fan store, meat lab, shooting range, etc.
- Prepares and/or supervises and reviews the preparation of reports to external agencies (i.e. Oklahoma Tax Commission and Brant Associates for Warrant Intercept Program, various collection agencies, State Treasurer, Office of State Finance, etc.)
- Provides periodic conditional enrollment reports to enrollment management staff, deans, and advisors. Administers the conditional enrollment process and maintains holds, comments, and communicates with students and employees regarding student account balances, holds, etc. as needed.
- Administers job processes in a timely manner, including but not limited to, billing, late fees, 1098T tax forms, daily Banner job submittals for accounts receivable, holds, fee assessment and start of term processes, AIRS uploads, and refunds.
- Evaluates accounts receivable policies and procedures for recommendation to direct report and development of revisions as needed.
- Provides training of cashiering and auxiliary retail staff both orally and in writing on accounts receivable systems including point of sale systems, cash handling policy and practices, and fraud and loss prevention.
- Responsible for accounts receivable of federal, state and private grants.
- Responsible for PCI compliance and reporting.
- ordinates and performs audits of university cashiering and auxiliary enterprises including retail divisions.
- Manages credit card terminals, check out process, and receipt of funds through various channels and merchant accounts (i.e. Marketplace, ACH and credit card payments, etc.)
- Manages TouchNet environments, including but not limited to, cashiering, bill + payment, gateway, marketplace, etc. Management of these environments also includes management of student payment plans, payment methods, GradGuard settings, etc.
- Reviews student accounts and authorizes refunds in instances of overpayments.
- Manages Akademos textbook charges, revenue sharing agreements such as CapEd and GradAlliance reporting of tuition and fees, account collections, etc.
- Must have a strong work ethic and lead by example.
- Must be a professional, credible and respected representative of the institution internally and in the community.
- Demonstrated willingness and ability to act ethically and socially responsible.
- Must be able to lift more than 50-lb. objects; frequent bending, stooping, and walking.
- Can be exposed to a variety of weather conditions for periods of time.
- Ability to communicate in a courteous manner.
- Other duties as assigned by Comptroller or his/her designee.
- The omission of specific statement of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
- Strong oral and written communication skills in English. Must demonstrate a history of ethical and professional behavior.
- Required: Bachelor’s degree in accounting, business, or closely related field.
- Preferred: Four years progressively responsible experience in the accounting or business or banking field. Demonstrated knowledge and experience in a public college desirable.
About Oklahoma Panhandle State University (OPSU): OPSU is regionally accredited by the Higher Learning Commission and is the first public Hispanic Serving Institution in Oklahoma. The university is a baccalaureate degree granting institution located in Goodwell, Oklahoma. Rooted in “Progress through Knowledge,” OPSU is committed to promoting excellence in the preparation of students for success in a global community. Our university achieved multiple rankings by the 2023 U.S. News & World Report Best Colleges rankings: #3 Best Value Regional Colleges West; #8 Top Public Colleges for the Western Region; and #17 Best Regional Colleges West. U.S New and World Report also recognized OPSU as one of the top ten universities in Oklahoma, standing out of our affordable tuition rates.